Why Become a Cycling Educator?
Empower the next generation of bike riders.
The LCI training seminar focuses on teaching and demonstration techniques used with future students both on the road and in the classroom. The seminar emphasis is on how to teach bicycle safety and skills so as to provide increased comfort and confidence for new and returning bicyclists and youth.
As a League Cycling Instructor, you could be the reason one more person chooses to hop on the saddle — and do so with confidence. LCIs have access to educational materials developed by the League and can take part in opportunities to meet other educators, continue their own education, and learn how to be an advocate for better biking in your community.
You don’t have to be an extraordinary athlete or overachieving student to be a stellar LCI, all you need is the conviction that life is better for everyone when more people ride bikes.
The League has certified more than 7,000 people as League Cycling Instructors. Are you next?
HAWAI‘i 2023 LCI Seminar
JULY 14 – JULY 16 IN ‘EWA BEACH, HI
(REGISTRATION CLOSES 7/06/23)
Location: Kapilina Beach Homes
Coach: Malia k Harunaga
Hours: 5:00pm-9pm Friday, 8am-9:30pm Saturday; 8am-3pm Sunday
Registration closes on 7/06/23 11:59 PM HST.
Hawaii Bicycling League is hosting a League Cycling Instructor (LCI) Seminar on O‘ahu this July to increase the number of people certified as bicycling educators in Hawai‘i. We’re looking for folks passionate about bicycling who would like an opportunity to share their knowledge + love of biking, and help put people on the right path towards better biking.
receive the discounted registration rate of $175,
by using the code: TEACHINHAWAII.
Upon successful certification, opportunities to use your LCI credentials locally in Hawai‘i would look like:
- Instructing or assisting with HBL’s adult workshops (scheduled around O‘ahu throughout the year – pick the workshops that fit your schedule!)
- Teaching with HBL’s BikeEd Hawai‘i program (4th graders)
- Leading group rides (on any Hawai‘i island)
- Helping lead recumbent trike rides through HBL’s Golden Gears program
Kapilina Beach Homes
5100 Iroquois Ave, ‘Ewa Beach, HI 96706
JULY 14 (Friday):
5:00pm – 9:00pm
JULY 15 (Saturday):
8:00am – 9:00pm
JULY 16 (Sunday):
8:00am – 3:00pm
NOTE: Candidates must attend all three days of the seminar to be considered for certification.
STEPS TO BECOME A LEAGUE CYCLING INSTRUCTOR:
1. Complete Smart Cycling Course.
- Attend a Smart Cycling Course (formerly called Traffic Skills 101). You can complete the entire Smart Cycling class with an LCI or the in-classroom portion at bikeed.org – please note that you will still need to complete the on-bike portion of the class with an LCI to meet the full requirement.
- Students may substitute the classroom instruction portion with the online Smart Cycling exam at learn.bikeleague.org. Students will need to review the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced sections online and take the Smart Cycling exam. Please note that you will still need to complete the on-bike portion of the class with an LCI to meet the full requirement.
2. Register for a LCI Seminar
- Seminar registration closes on 7/06/23 11:59 PM HST.
- After registration, you will be required to take an open-book exam using the seminar materials. You will send the exam answers to your coach, who will use the exam results to help assess your bicycling knowledge and fine-tune seminar activities accordingly. Your grade on your examination must be 85% or greater. Your coach will contact you if your score falls below 85% and provide counseling. Your coach is the final decision maker on your attendance in the seminar.
3. Attend all 3 days of the seminar
- This is an intense 3 days learning about how to teach the Smart Cycling curriculum. Attendance at all seminar hours is mandatory.
- Seminar registration does not guarantee certification, but everyone comes away with increased knowledge of bicycle safety instruction and will eventually be certified if you put in the effort and time.
About the LCI Seminar:
The LCI training seminar focuses on teaching and demonstration techniques used with future students both on the road and in the classroom. The seminar emphasis is on how to teach bicycle safety and skills so as to provide increased comfort and confidence for new and returning bicyclists and youth. The seminar does not emphasize the content or specific details of the cycling course curricula. It is primarily about teaching, and each candidate will have opportunities during the seminar to practice facilitating parts of the Smart Cycling curriculum, both in the classroom and in the parking lot. The seminar is normally one evening and two full days. Generally, one-third of the time is on-bike, so students should be prepared to ride. Attendance at all seminar hours is mandatory and does not guarantee certification.
Candidates who successfully complete the seminar are certified to teach the League’s Smart Cycling curriculum, have access to an abundance of teaching materials, and are covered under the League’s liability insurance. LCIs are also plugged into the national network of LCIs (over 7,000) to discuss opportunities, challenges, and new resources.
WHAT’S A LEAGUE CYCLING INSTRUCTOR?
League Cycling Instructors (LCIs) are ambassadors for better biking through education. After earning certification through a 3-day, League Coach-led seminar, LCIs teach Smart Cycling classes to children as well as adults. Their goal is to help people feel more secure about riding by educating cyclists and motorists and to ensure that people on bikes know how to ride safely and legally.
Registration closes on 7/06/23 11:59 PM HST.
Questions? Get in touch with Malia k Harunaga, HBL’s Director of Adult Education, at Malia@HBL.org or by calling HBL at (808) 735-5756.