Event Phone: (808) 735-5756
Learn how to ride with confidence & control on the open road!
Feeling a bit frightened to bike on the streets of Hawai‘i? HBL is here to help you with that! Bring your bicycle and come out to HBL’s free hands-on, on-bike 2-hr workshop that will have you feeling at ease pedaling wherever your ride takes you. Learn what your rights are as a cyclist & why exercising them is key to having a comfortable & enjoyable bike ride, better your bike control, learn how to perform an easy safety check on your bike, and lots more!
We at HBL really believe biking should be fun(!), NOT stressful, so join us for this super helpful, very informative, and possibly life-changing workshop that will make your biking experience a joyous one forever-forward.
This workshop includes:
- Basic bike fitting & how to perform a safety check of your equipment.
- Best practices of cycling safely in Hawai‘i.
- Bike parking & theft prevention: what you need to know.
- Types of bicycle infrastructure you may encounter in the area & how to use them.
- Where you can ride, where you cannot, and where you should ride for an enjoyable biking experience.
- On-bike handling practice for smooth starting, stopping, steering, scanning, and signaling.
- Short instructor-led ride around the neighborhood (less than 2 miles) to show you how to apply those best practices, and have you experience in real life!
Space is limited & pre-registration is required (register below!).
This workshop is put on by the Hawaii Bicycling League and funded through a grant from the City and County of Honolulu, Department of Transportation Services.
Cancellation / No-Show Fee
For cancellations/no-shows with less than 24 hours notice there will be a $20.00 cancellation/no-show fee for costs incurred. If you cannot attend your scheduled workshop, please contact HBL’s Adult Education Manager at Malia@HBL.org or text/call (808) 457-5401 as soon as possible. Because these workshops have limited bikes, no-shows and late cancellations deprive someone else from the opportunity to learn. As a small nonprofit trying to change the world one person at a time, we appreciate your understanding!
Bicycling Basics (On-Bike) Workshop
February 13, 2022
9:00 am - 11:00 am
Venue: Mānoa Public Library