January 25, 2024
Job Title: Advocacy Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Hawai‘i Bicycling League Office – 3442 Wai‘alae Ave, Suite 1 Honolulu, HI 96816
Hawai‘i Bicycling League (HBL) is seeking a dynamic individual to join our team as the Advocacy Director. Advocacy is core to our mission and this role will be responsible for overseeing efforts at a variety of levels and across a wide range of focuses. (Click here for PDF of job posting)
About Hawai’i Bicycling League:
The Hawai’i Bicycling League is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting cycling as a safe and viable means of transportation and recreation in Hawai’i. With a mission to enable more people to ride bicycles, HBL works towards creating a more bicycle-friendly Hawai’i through advocacy, education, events, and community engagement.
The Advocacy Director will be responsible for developing and implementing advocacy strategies to promote safe, accessible, and inclusive bicycling infrastructure and policies in Hawai‘i. The Advocacy Director will work closely with community stakeholders, government agencies, and other advocacy groups to identify opportunities to improve infrastructure and policies, address any barriers to cycling in Hawai‘i, as well as support broader efforts towards safer streets for all users. This dynamic position will incorporate aspects of legislative action, professional networking, community engagement, and fundraising.
- Legislative/Policy Focus: Develop and implement strategic advocacy campaigns to promote cycling-friendly policies at local, state, and federal levels. Ensure previous legislation is enacted and followed, while advocating for legislative changes that prioritize active transportation. Foster relationships with elected officials to ensure support for bicycle related legislation and actions.
- Professional/Governmental Focus: Collaborate with governmental agencies, professionals within the transportation space, and businesses to advocate for improved cycling infrastructure. Forge partnerships with relevant professionals and governmental bodies to drive progress. Focus will be on implementing existing bicycle plans, ensuring complete streets ordinances are followed, and educating stakeholders regarding the latest data and opportunities to create safer and more complete networks for people biking and walking.
- Community Focus: Conduct outreach and education programs to raise awareness about the benefits of cycling. Organize community events and initiatives to engage and empower the public in advocating for cycling-friendly policies. Work with HBL’s membership base and Advocacy Committee to spark community advocacy and support larger strategies.
- Develop and implement advocacy campaigns that promote safe, accessible, and inclusive cycling infrastructure and policies.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders, including government officials, community organizations, and other advocacy groups to advance the interests of the cycling community.
- Conduct research and analysis to identify gaps and opportunities in existing cycling infrastructure and policies.
- Provide technical assistance and support to government agencies, community organizations, and other stakeholders to ensure that cycling infrastructure and policies are implemented effectively.
- Develop and maintain a strong online and social media presence to engage with the cycling community and promote HBL’s advocacy initiatives.
- Collaborate with HBL staff to integrate advocacy strategies into organizational programs and initiatives.
- Represent HBL in meetings with government officials, community organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Participate in relevant conferences and trainings to stay up-to-date on best practices in advocacy.
- Assist with fundraising efforts including grant applications, fundraising campaigns, and donor development.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as public policy, urban planning, or environmental studies.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in advocacy, policy, or related field, with a focus on transportation, urban planning, or related fields.
- Strong analytical skills and experience conducting research and analysis to inform advocacy strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholders and to work collaboratively to achieve common goals.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Experience using social media and other digital platforms for advocacy and outreach.
- Passion for promoting cycling as a means of transportation, recreation, and fitness in Hawai‘i.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $70,000 per year and is commensurate with experience. Hawai‘i Bicycling League offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, three weeks of PTO plus ten holidays, and professional development opportunities.
Please send PDFs of cover letter and resume to Travis Counsell at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Advocacy Director Position” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed starting February 9, 2024.
This position is made possible in part through generous support from Ulupono Initiative.